Wednesday 12 October 2011

Chicken Cacciatore Soup


Last we had some friends over for dinner. Normally when someone is coming for dinner, I know exactly what I'm making way in advance, but this time around ...... I spent part of Monday looking at cooking magazines and websites searching for inspiration, nothing. I read cook books, nothing.  Monday night as I layed in bed watching The Family Guy, I thought Pasties and some kind of soup. Hubby came home he thought it sounded good.  So yesterday morning as I sat enjoying my Pumpkin Spice Latte and once again looking at cook books, I came across the recipe for Chicken Cacciatore Soup.

Instead of using precooked chicken (of which I didn't have or store bought stock) I boiled a chicken and made my own stock.  Anyway the soup was delicious and it tasted like chicken cacciatore, except in a soup form.  Served with a side of warm Pretzel Bread, it was the perfect meal.

Chicken Cacciatore Soup

  • 2 medium leeks, sliced white portions only
  • 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • olive oil
  • 6 - 8 cups chicken broth
  • 1 whole chicken, boiled, skin and bones removed, chopped
  • 2 (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
  • 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
  • 1 medium green, yellow, and red pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup uncooked bow tie pasta
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced

In a large sauce pan, saute mushrooms, garlic, and leeks in olive oil until tender.  Stir in the broth, chicken, tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, pasta, thyme, and ground pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender.

Adapted from Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment